Super easy and quick Instant pot tri tip with vegetables dinner recipe.Cook it all in one pot and enjoy your dinner with the family.
I live in California, in its Central Valley part, where the tri tip roast gained its popularity in 1960s. You can find it everywhere, in every grocery store. It comes marinated, dry rubbed, precooked and already seasoned and sealed, ready for the oven. For this recipe i used a raw unseasoned roast.
What is tri tip roast
As also called a bottom sirloin butt, this type of roast is mostly known for its outstanding flavor. The tri tip steak usually weights about 2lb and shaped as a triangle. Its good for grilling and roasting, the roast comes out beautiful right from the smoker as well. I slow cooked it for my sons birthday and it was a hit too. Finally i decided to cook my tri tip in my 8 qt pressure cooker. Lets see how it goes!
How to cook tri tip in instant pot
Step1. You need to start with browning your meat. This is not super important and you can save time by not doing it, but i highly recommend. This way you will seal the juices inside the roast and don’t let them escape during cooking. But its totally optional, is you are short in time, don’t do it. Browning is done by adding oil in to the pot and searing the roast on all sides. Once nice and brown, take it out and set aside.
Step2. Add all the vegetable you using in to the pot. I only added yellow potatoes, that’s all i had on hand, but you are welcome to add mushrooms, celery, onions, carrots or any other veggies. The bottom of my inner pot filled 13 small potatoes. Add about 2 cups of water and place the trivet on top. If you dont have a trivet, just place tri tip on top of potatoes. Close the lid and lock it. Set the timer on MANUAL for 29 minutes for well done, and 17 for medium well. Medium probably will be about 20 minutes, but it depends on the size of your roast. Mine is 1,8 pounds
Step3. Quick release the pressure. Open the lid and take the roast out, remove the trivet. Slice it against the grain and if not served right away, return to the pot to soak up those juices that came from tri tip drippings.
The rub i used: I like to keep it simple so i used just the steak seasoning. If you are more adventurous,make your own rub, I recommend to use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 tspn onion powder, 1 tspn paprika, 1 tspn black pepper and about 2 teaspoon of salt.
More delicious instant pot recipes to try
- Instant pot split pea soup Vibrant thick and creamy yummy soup for the cold night
- Instant Pot beef pot roast with potatoes Super quick and delicious dump and start dinner
- Instant pot creamy polenta No constant stirring required!
- Instant Pot beans and sausage Favorite Southers flavors
- Instant pot mashed butternut squash Healthy side dish for any occasion
- Instant pot beef tongue
Instant pot tri tip
- 2 lb tri tip
- 2 tablespoon favorite dry rub *or see post or notes for the recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil i used olive oil
- 13 golden potatoes use more to fill the bottom of the pot
- carrots, celery, mushrooms optional
- 2 cups water
- Add oil to the inner pot. Push on SAUTE button and let it heat up. Meanwhile rub your tri tip with the spices of choice or with the rub i proveded in notes.
- Brown tri tip in the pot, both sides. Turn SAUTE mode off. Take meat out and place separately . Add washed potatoes in to the same pot ( peel them if you like to). Add more vegetables if using. Add water
- Place a trivet on top of those vegetables. Put browned tri tip on top of the trivet. Close and lock the lid. (if you dont have a trivet, just place the roast on top of potatoes)
- Cook on manual for 29 minutes for well done, or 17 minutes for medium rare. Quick release.
- Carefully open the lid and take the meat out. Slice it against the grain. If not served immediately, you can place sliced tri tip into the broth (dripping plus water) and let soak the juices.
This recipe is a part of my instant pot recipes collection, take a look! For more information about tri-tip roast please visit Beef is whats for dinner site where you will find lots of cooking tip and tricks.