This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
In this post i will show you how to cook a delicious comforting split pea soup in your Instant Pot. We are going to make it with smoked turkey legs or turkey necks, which will bring lots of flavor and texture to your pressure cooker soup.
For Weight watchers: myWW green plan 7 points,myWW blue plan 3 points,myWW purple plan 3 points per serving.
Instant pot is the best tool when cooking a split pea soup, at least for me. If you are in a rush to get the dinner ready, just load your pressure cooker with a bunch of ingredients and wait about 20 minutes. No more babysitting the stove for 3 hours. Plus i really love the flavor this soup comes with, so smoky and the peas are very soft.
How to make the best split pea soup in Instant pot
I really love dump and start recipes. When you literary just dump all your ingredients into the pot, turn it on and wait until its done.
For this soup recipe you will need dried split peas. You can get them from the regular grocery store in the dry foods and beans section. Make sure to rinse and pick them very well, because its pretty common to find some dirt or little stones in the package. Here is a list of ingredients i used for this recipe:
- Split peas. I like green split peas. They bring a very vibrant color to the soup. Try with yellow split peas and please let me know how it turned out!
- Carrots. One big carrot or two small.
- Celery. Couple celery ribs will be enough
- Onions. Yellow onions are my favorite to use in this recipe
Meat preferences. In today’s recipe i used smoked turkey necks. They don’t have lots of meat but the bones soaked up that smoky flavor that just explodes in the soup. You can use other parts of turkey as well: drumsticks, thighs or wings. they all will work perfect. Just try to stay close to the recommended amount- about 1,5 pounds per 6 cups of water and 1 lb of dry split peas.
Another delicious meat option for this recipe is ham. Dont throw away that leftover ham bone! I know we get leftovers too from the Thanksgiving dinner, but throwing away the ham bone is totally a foodie crime. Use it in this soup! Make an Instant pot split pea soup with ham. I would not adjust the cooking time, because the leftover ham bone will be already cooked all the way through.
Other delicious instant pot soup recipes to try
- Instant Pot butternut squash soup. Butternut squash has a very sweet and delicate flavor that is just perfect for a homemade soup puree
- Instant pot beef vegetable soup. This is my most popular soup recipe. No wonder why! Chunky, comforting and great for those cold nights!
- Instant pot beef and barley soup. Another yummy healthy soup that cooks in minutes in your pressure cooker.
Instant Pot split pea soup with smoked turkey
- 1.5 lb smoked turkey* it could be turkey necks, wings or legs
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 lb dry split peas
- couple bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- Rinse and pick your split peas, then add them to the pot. Add other ingredients and close and lock the lid. Set Manual high pressure for 11 minutes. Then Quick Release.
- Carefully open the lid. Using thongs, take turkey necks out ( our whatever other pieces of meat you using). Try to cut as much meat as you can from the bones. Chop meat and return to the pot. Stir very well and serve.