Delicious quick and easy Instant pot beef tongue recipe for all lingua de res lovers. Juicy tender meat can be a great appetizer, shred it for some beef tongue tacos or serve it as a full dinner meal over rice.
Beef tongue is a very nutritious part of a cow and me and my kids are trying to eat it often. Growing up in Russia, this dish was a favorite weekend dinner for the whole family. We are eating all the beef parts, including oxtails, beef heart, beef liver and more.
Where do you buy beef tongue
Its not hard to find a beef tongue, at least here in California because of its popularity in Mexican cousin. Lingua de res tacos or burritos is what i usually order in Mexican restaurants in San Francisco anyways. I learned how to cook lot of authentic recipes like Caldo de Pollo and Caldo de res. Pressure cooker helped me to safe a lot of time when making this Caldo de Res in Instant Pot recipe.
Making beef tongue in instant pot is easy
I am not a big fan of weird sauces or unusual flavors on top of the cooked beef tongue. All i added to the broth was salt, pepper a bay leaf. Occasionally i will add an onion or carrots. Vegetables will make the broth more flavorful.
How long do you cook beef tongue in a instant pot?
Coking time varies from 45 to 55 minutes, depending on the thickness and weight of the tongue. I had an almost 4 lb one so i cooked it under pressure on manual for 50 minutes and it was perfectly done. The skin peeled easily and the meat was very very tender and juicy.
With the beef tongue this big most likely you will have leftovers. I always use the beef tongue stock for making a soup couple days later and i make beef tongue tacos with leftover sliced beef tongue
Instant pot leftover beef tongue soup
In my childhood, my mom would just add some onions and potatoes to the broth and simmer it until done. Beef tongue broth makes a very delicious soup. This time i only added noodles (i had udon) and simmer them right in the instant pot on saute mode for 11 minutes. I also chopped some leftover beef tongue and added it to the broth. My kids loved it! The broth is so rich and flavorful and the whole house smelled amazing.
Beef tongue instant pot tacos (tacos de lingua)
This is a delicious dish so much loved by a lot a people. That what i usually order at the Mexican restaurants. Here you can find a good beef tongue tacos recipe, just skip the tongue boiling part.
More easy instant pot recipes readers love
- Instant pot tri tip now you can make tri tip in pressure cooker in less then 30 minutes
- Instant pot pork tacos super easy and quick recipe for carnitas tacos
- Instant pot polenta creamy polenta without all that stirring!
Beef tongue in instant pot
- 4 lb beef tongue
- 6 cups water enough to cover or almost cover the tongue
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 onion cut in quarters
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse the beef tongue under the cold water. Add to the inner pot. Add water just to cover the meat. Add salt and pepper. Add haft an onion, you can leave it as is or slice it. Add bay leaf
- Close and lock the lid. Cook on manual for 50 minute for a 4 lb beef tongue. 3lb probably will be cooked in 40 minutes.
- Quick release. Carefully open the lid. Take the tongue out and let cool. Peel the skin, it should peel off very easy. Slice beef tongue and serve with scallions or cilantro on top. Serve it over white rice if desired.