Want to learn how to make creamy polenta in instant pot? This delicious polenta recipe is so easy to cook and required no constant stirring. Watch my beginner friendly video to learn best tricks for cheesy buttery polenta in pressure cooker.
Polenta vs Cornmeal
Polenta is a kind of porridge that’s made from coarsely ground cornmeal , so in fact, polenta and a cornmeal are the same thing. For this recipe i recommend the grains to be the size of couscous, since different brands grind cornmeal differently. If cooked on the stove, polenta usually take time to cook, slow and low. In Instant Pot, instead, if the polenta grits are right size, it will be cooked in no more then 10 minutes. You don’t want to overcook it though. If cooked more then needed, polenta will become gluey and unappetizing. More about what is polenta you can find here.
Instant pot polenta burn message
I heard that sometimes people get a BURN ERROR on instant pot when making polenta. This usually means that there is not enough liquid in the pot and its getting too hot. For some reasons I have never seen a BURN error on my pressure cooker. Never ever. Not sure if i am just super lucky or because newer models are too sensitive. I own an Instant Pot Duo 8 qt model that i purchased back in 2017. Still works excellent and no burn messages. If you have the same model, you are 100 percent safe.
Common questions and useful tip for Instant pot polenta
- How to make polenta in instant pot vegan? Simply use a vegan cheese instead of Parmesan ( or even dont use any cheese) and switch butter to vegan butter or coconut oil.
- How to make chicken polenta? I made it before and highly recommend! All you will need is to switch water to chicken broth to add some rich chicken flavor. Once cooked, add shredded rotisserie chicken on top or stir chicken in to the porridge. Delicious dinner!
- Mushroom and Polenta? This is another delicious combination. Add sliced cremini mushrooms seared with some onions and garlic on top of your polenta for a delicious meal.
More Instant pot recipes to try:
- Instant Pot turkey breast. Juicy turkey breast will make a fantastic healthy dinner
- Instant pot mashed butternut squash. Healthy side dish for any occasion!
- Instant Pot beef pot roast with potatoes. This is my favorite. Quick and easy weeknight dinner.
- Instant Pot red beans and sausage. Southern flavors!
Instant pot creamy polenta
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup polenta coarse ground
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add water, polenta and salt in to the pot. Stir it well with a wooden spoon, close and lock the lid. Cook it in MANUAL high pressure for 10 minutes, quick release.
- Carefully open the lid. Add Parmesan cheese and butter. Stir very well and serve immediately. Add toppings if desired (chicken, mushrooms, extra parmesan...)
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.