This post may contain affiliate links.
Easy to make and so delicious Air fryer mini apple pies with homemade apple filling. Bring fall aromas to your table any time of the year.
Air fryer is perfect for making desserts! Dough turns out perfect each time and its so easy to watch and monitor the cooking process.
Today we are going to make air fryer apple pies. They are mini hand pies that are filled with homemade apple filling. Warm cinnamon or pumpkin pie spices will fill your kitchen with amazing smell.
Homemade apple pie filling
I think i never tried store bought pie filling. Like, ever. So when i was planning on making this recipe i didn’t doubt that i will be making my own filling.
Apples. Choose whatever apples you personally like. My favorite apple are Fuji so i used them. If you are using less sweet apple variety, add more sugar to the sauce. Tart green apples will probably need couple extra teaspoons.
Sugar. I prefer to use brown sugar in recipes that call for apples. Brown sugar also shares a beautiful brown color that look appetizing in cooked pies.
Cornstarch. This ingredient is necessary to help thicken your filling.
If you prefer canned apple pie filling over homemade, go for it. You will probably need about 1-1,5 cups. This will make the cooking process extremely easy and fast!
How to cook pie filling? Just place chopped apples, some butter, spices and sugar in the small pot and cook for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile mix cornstarch with water and then add to the pot as well. Cook until the mixture thicken and golden in color, about 5 extra minutes. Now let it cool a little bit.
Cooking mini apple pies in air fryer
I didn’t make a dough from scratch for this recipe. I used a refrigerated double pie crust. It works perfect when you are making mini pies in air fryer.
All you will need to do is to unroll the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut rectangles. Size depend on how many pies you want to fit in to your air fryer at once. Mine fit about 5 at a time.
Use one rectangle as a bottom of mini pie, and one as a top. You may want to roll a slightly bigger pieces for the top layer. Drop a spoon of filling on a smaller dough piece and top with the bigger one. Crimp the edges. I used a fork but you can do it just with your fingers. Cut couple slits on top to vent. Step by step pictures are provided below.
Bake until golden in color at 380 degrees. It will take about 7-8 minutes. he filling will be very hot so let mini pies cool for a few minutes.
Kids loved this air fryer mini apple hand pies the most! They had it for after lunch dessert and a snack later in the day. Try to make this recipe with blueberries or peaches.
More yummy air fryer recipes
- Best Air fryer Steak recipe
- Air fryer Cornish hen (with crispy skin!)
- Air fryer chocolate chip cookie bars
- Air fryer tortilla chips
Mini apple pies in air fryer
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar*
- 2 Fuji apples
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- pinch of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 package double crust pie
- Peel and chop apples. Add them to the little pot along with butter, brown sugar and spice. Cook for 5-7 minutes until apples are soft. Stir well.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to the pot. Cook for couple minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the pie crust. Unroll the double pie crust and cut into rectangles. Add some apple pie filling to a half of the pieces. Wet your fingers and touch the outer edges of rectangles with filling. Roll out retaining rectangles to make them a bit bigger. Place them on top of filling. Crimp the edges with fork or just your fingers. Cut couple slits
- Spray air fryer basket with oil spray. Place as many mini pies as you can fit in to the basket (in one layer, leaving space between for the air). Cook on 385F degrees for 7-8 minutes. Cook the second batch
Tools used in this recipe
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.