This post may contain affiliate links.
Want to cook an easy snack in no time? Try my new favorite and super simple recipe for air fryer fried tortilla chips, so crispy and delicious!
Tortilla chips are a staple snack in our house, we just change the dip but no one takes away our crunchy chips! So, since we love it so much, i decided to try to make some at home, healthier way.
Making chips healthier
Traditionally tortilla chips are cooked using a deep frying method. Tortillas absorb lots of oil and become so crunchy. With that crunch comes extra calories!
When you air fry chips instead of deep frying, you are saving on those calories (so you can eat more) because there is no calories in the air, right?
Plus the cleaning is a breeze. Just wipe your air fryer with wet paper towel or just give it a quick rinse.
Air fryer instructions
This must be one of the easiest recipes on my site. And mess free!
- You going to start with purchasing tortillas. Choose corn tortillas for more authentic flavor. They are yellow in color. I used Mission super soft tortillas but you can use your favorite. If you can find thin tortillas, use them instead.
- Make a stack. I used 5 tortillas at a time, but i see that air fryer can fit more so feel free to use extra.
- Slice rounds in half and then in half again. You can see in the video how i made it, pretty easy. Dont worry if chips will not be perfect shape, they will still be tasty.
- Spread raw chips in the air fryer basket and lightly spray with oil spray. I used olive oil spray.
- Sprinkle with salt. I used sea salt from the grinder. My favorite thing in the kitchen after my pepper grinder. If you feel fancy, add garlic or onion powder. Or any other spices you like. I kept it simple to enjoy with dip later.
- Now close the basket and air fry! If you will keep the temperature at 350, it will take you about 10 minutes. Shake a few times. I once cooked chips at 400 and it took them only 5 minutes to slightly burn so just stick to 350.
Make a crisp test. If the chip easily breaks in half, its ready. I have an amazing recipe for air fryer salsa or a more traditional homemade roasted salsa. So good!
How long do they stay fresh?
They will stay fresh for about 3 days if stored in the airtight container. If kept for longer, chips may taste stale. You can refresh them by reheating for couple minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit in the air fryer.
Hope you will like this easy air fryer recipe, search my air fryer recipe collection if you would like more! Leave comments below!
More air fryer recipes
- Air fryer Cornish hen
- Air fryer dungeness crab legs
- Air fryer swordfish
- Air fryer frozen meatballs
- Air fryer turkey wings
Air fryer tortilla chips
- 5 corn tortillas
- olive oil spray
- Place 5 or more tortillas on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife slice in the middle and then slice in the middle again.
- Put raw chips in the air fryer basket. Lightly spray with oil spray and sprinkle with salt. Mix a little.
- Close the basket and air fryer at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes. Shake a few times during cooking.
- Check for crispiness. Take out of air fryer and let cool. Enjoy with homemade salsa!
- Use your favorite tortilla brand. Thin tortillas are the best, but any will work.
- Spraying chips with oil helps them to get crispy and golden in color.
- If using flour tortillas, cook for couple minutes longer.
- Tortillas are best with salsa, guacamole, different dips or in the tortilla soup!
Tools used in this recipe
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.
Sheryl Y Rush
Thursday 27th of August 2020
Great. Easy recipe and I love tortilla chips. I did not have any sea salt but used regular and popped a little butter with olive oil so I did not need as much salt. Turned out great. Just watch how much butter ? bc you don't want your air fryer to smoke or chips too dark..just a pinch. Sea salt would be better but still great ?.