This post may contain affiliate links.
Southern favorite and so comforting, this Instant pot collard greens will be an amazing side dish for any family gatherings. Added bacon brings so much meaty flavor to the dish that makes this pressure cooker dish great and for the holidays and as an weekday meal.
For weight watchers points: myWW green plan 3 points, blue plan 3 points, purple 3 points ( all calculations are done by adding ingredients to Weight watchers app calculator). Points are per serving.
I have to admit that i never tried collard greens made in pressure cooker before. I was a bit scared but curious. If you are in doubt, just look at those photos- bright green collard greens combined with onion and crispy bacon bites… what a fantastic combination!
Instant pot collard greens ingredients
- Collard greens. This is the major ingredient in this dish so make sure its very fresh and bright in color. If you have to keep it for a few days before cooking, make sure to put it in the plastic bag and keep it in the fridge.
- Bacon. Choose traditional cut bacon for easy cooking
- Onion and garlic.
- Broth. Use the broth of choice, whatever is your favorite. I used chicken broth here because that was all i could find in my pantry. Vegetable or beef broth will work well too.
How to prepare collard greens
When cooking with greens i use only the green parts, the leaves. The process of preparing collard greens for pressure cooking is easy and has only two steps:
- Cut leafy parts from the stem using a sharp knife
- Stack several leaves on top of each other, roll them into one piece and slice
Try more easy instant pot recipes readers love!
- Instant Pot cabbage and sausage recipe
- Instant pot chicken lo mein noodles
- Instant Pot turkey legs with gravy
- Beef and vegetable soup in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Fettuccine Alfredo pasta
- Best kid friendly Instant Pot recipes
Not enough? Check my instant pot recipes index , with 50+ recipes i guarantee you will find what you are looking for!
Instant pot collard greens with bacon
- 2 lb collard greens chopped*
- 4 cups water
- 3 slices bacon
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil
- In to the pressure cooker add prepared collard greens, water and about 1 teaspoon of salt. Close and lock the lid. Cook on MANUAL for 10 minutes. Quick release once done.
- Drain the greens and set aside. Meanwhile add bacon and oil in to the empty pot and cook on SAUTE until bacon done and crispy, about 5 minutes. Move slices to the paper towel.
- Chop onion and add to the pot, Add garlic and cook on SAUTE for a few minutes until soft and fragrant. Add greens and broth and cook for about 10 minutes, until all the flavors are well combined.
- Meanwhile crumble the bacon. Once the greens are done, serve them on the plate with crumbled bacon on top
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.