This is the best instant pot pulled pork shoulder tacos recipe for your pressure cooker! Carnitas is the dish that is so easy to make, family favorite and you can cook it from frozen no problem. Perfect party main dish and Mexican inspired dinner.
What is the best cut for pork carnitas
In my opinion, the best pork cut for carnitas and pork tacos is pork shoulder. It very inexpensive and you can get a lot of meat for a small amount of money. It also has a good amount of fat in it that makes the dish moist and so delicious. This cut of meat is also known as “Boston butt” (in the US) and “pork shoulder on the bone” (in the UK)
Can i cook pork carnitas from frozen in the pressure cooker?
Absolutely! So the typical time for carnitas to be cooked all the way until it shreds easily is about 40 minutes under high pressure. If the pork shoulder is frozen, i add just about 10 minutes to the cooking time and is works perfect each time. Not going to lie here, most of the time i cook pork tacos the meat is frozen. I am buying a big piece of pork shoulder from COSTCO and cut it into four pieces. I cook one and freeze 3 others in the separate gallon sized freezer Ziploc bags.
Favorite Instant pot pork tacos toppings
- Cilantro. I grow my own cilantro on the backyard but when we lived in the apartment i grew it on the kitchen window
- Avocado. My favorite!
- Sour cream. Mexicans just like Russians love their sour cream. We also like to put it in soups, on crepes and pancakes, in pasta and pretty much on everything
- Jalapeno. I grow them on my backyard too and love them so much on everything.
- Onions or shallots
Try other instant pot recipes readers love!
- Quick and easy Instant Pot beef stroganoff
- Beef and vegetable stew in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Fettuccine Alfredo pasta
- Best kid friendly Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot turkey legs with gravy
- Instant Pot butternut squash soup
Also enjoy my collection of Instant Pot recipes, you will love it!
The best instant pot pork tacos
- 3 lb pork shoulder
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Place all the ingredients into your pressure cooker.Close the lid and set on high pressure for 40 minutes (50 minutes if the meat is frozen)
- Once the meat is cooked, quick release and open the lid. Shred the meat with two forks.
- Now the fun part! Create you own tacos! On the warmed small torlillas , place some pork, add you favorite toppings and enjoy!