This post may contain affiliate links.
Healthy mashed sweet potatoes made in your instant pot is a delicious side dish for any occasion. Perfect for Thanksgiving or any other major Holidays.
I was cooking these sweet potatoes with Thanksgiving in my mind. This dish will be a great substitue foro tradittional mashed potatoes and it will be a great adittion to a main dish. The taste of this mashed sweet potatoes is very delicate, sweet and it feels silky. All at the same time.
How to cook sweet potatoes in Instant Pot
I know some people use all kinds of insert or basket to cook potatoes in their pressure cooker. I don’t do that. I tried and didn’t see any difference.
To help sweet potatoes cook faster, cut them in cubes. Size doesn’t matter that much, as long as they are chopped in three-four pieces you are good. Cutting them helps speed up cooking process.
- Peel them, cut them, put them in to your inner pot.
- Add about 1 cup of water and close the lid. Cook them on high pressure for 10 minutes. I used a MANUAL setting.
- Quick release and open the lid. Now you want to drain them. You can do that by placing potatoes in to the drainer (the one you use for noodles). Make sure all the water is gone.
- Put sweet potatoes back in the pot. Now its time for the masher. Mash sweet potatoes until desired consistency. I like when its completely like a puree, my husband like it chunky.
- Add cream, butter and spices. You can regulate the amount of each
- Make it vegan by using coconut milk and coconut oil if desired.
More Side dishes you may like
- Instant Pot collard greens
- Instant pot mashed butternut squash
- Creamed corn recipe
- Sauteed green beans
- Brussels sprouts and bacon recipe
Also try my Air fryer sweet potato fries , they are delicious and crunchy!
Instant Pot Mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 lb sweet potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes in cubes. Add to the pressure cooker. Add water, Close and lock the lid.
- Cook on MANUAL setting for 10 minutes. Quick release.
- Drain sweet potatoes. Put back into the pot. Mash with the masher and add butter and cream. Additionally you can add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.