This post may contain affiliate links.
Delicious spicy roasted tomatillo salsa made with a help of your air fryer and blender. Make it spicy or mild, chunky or completely smooth, use red tomatoes instead or add poblano peppers, make it yours!
If you ever visited Mexican restaurant, you probably tried green spicy salsa along with other salsa varieties. Green salsa is made with tomatillos, Mexican husk tomatoes. They are usually cooked, raw they taste a bit acidic and strong.
How to make a perfect salsa
This recipe is easy as we are using two kitchen gadgets: air fryer and blender. You can totally roast tomatillos in your oven or just broil them under the broiler until charred.
This time we will be roasting tomatillos in air fryer. Start with cleaning and washing your vegetables- tomatillos and jalapeno. Jalapeno adds an extra kick without being too spicy.
I added just one jalapeno in the beginning but then roasted couple more. Some jalapenos are mild and some are spicy, so you may want to add more.
Turn the air fryer on and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Tomatillos may explode so watch it:) Its not going to be messy but you may hear a funny sound.
While main ingredients are roasting, pulse onions and cilantro in the blender a few times. You want it to be chunky. Scrape the sides if needed. I use a small old blender i have for years.
But if you decide to double or triple the recipe, i would use a large blender for it so you blend everything at once.
Ok, so tomatoes and peppers are cooked, add them to the blender. Hot is fine. Now blend it until it will reach the consistency you like. I like it pretty smooth. Dont forget to add salt! I usually taste test it and add more if needed. Add black and white pepper too if you want.
Can i make this recipe with red tomatoes
Absolutely! Pick smaller kinds of tomatoes like ROMA. Follow steps provided in the recipe exactly and you will have a delicious air fryer roasted salsa with red tomatoes.
Air fryer roasted tomatillo salsa
- 7 tomatillos
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 onion
- 1 small bunch of cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt add more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Clean and wash tomatillos. Place them in your air fryer along with jalapeno. Heat it to 400 degrees Farenheit and roast for about 10 minutes. Check it couple times to make sure they are not burning.
- Meanwhile chop onions and cilantro and place them in the blender bowl. Pulse a few times.
- Once tomatillos and jalapeno are ready, add them to the blender. You can add them hot right out of air fryer. Blend them until smooth.
- Scrape the sides if needed, add salt and pepper and stir salsa in the end. Here you have it! Enjoy!
Tools used in this recipe
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.