This post may contain affiliate links.
Try this delicious southern buttermilk pie on a cold winter or fall day. Cooked till golden brown perfection, this pie will warm you up on a cold day.
What is a buttermilk pie? Its a very soft velvety pie with a little golden brown crunch on top and yummy crust. We like to make this pie on a random weekend or where i have buttermilk leftovers from previous meal.
What kind of buttermilk is the best
Buttermilk comes in different sizes and the fat content varies too. Just like in regular milk. For best results use full fat buttermilk in this recipe. or at least 1%. Fat free buttermilk will give your pie a bit less flavor and richness.
How to store southern buttermilk pie
There great chances that you will finish the pie in one day, but if not you can totally store it to eat later. Typically the pie will stay fresh for 3-4 days in your fridge. in the air tight container or just wrapped tightly in foil.
I never tried to freeze it so cant make suggestions on that. Also the pie will be just fine if you will leave it on the counter for a day. Just dont forget to wrap it in foil and make sure its not too hot.
You will not find any weird ingredients in this recipe. Everything is easy to find and affordable.
- Eggs. Very important ingredient! Thats what makes the filling taste so “custardy”
- Sugar. Use regular white sugar or you can substitute it with brown sugar in equal amounts.
- Butter. Unsalted butter, will need to be melted but not hot
- Buttermilk. Full fat from the store or homemade
- Lemon juice and zest. Take one juice lemon and use it all for extra lemony flavor
Recipe tricks and tips
Always make sure that melted butter is room temperature. Since we have eggs in the filling as well, we don’t want to cook them with hot butter.
Dont overcook the pie. Once the cooking time is over and your oven is beeping, check it. Buttermilk pie should be a little jiggly in the middle. It will set once cooled.
For more intense lemon flavor add more lemon peel. I promise, your kitchen will fill up with delicious aroma and fresh citrus scent. So warming on cold winter days!
The best topping is probably a dollop of homemade whipped cream. Store bought works very well too! Try vanilla ice cream, its so good when the pie is still a bit warm.
Recipe instructions are very easy and don’t require a special chapter. Just mix all the filing ingredients in a medium size bowl and pour into your prepared unbaked pie crust. I love how easy this recipe is that is made in under one hour!
More delicious festive pie recipes from BerryMaple:
- Old fashioned chess pie
- Classic pecan pie recipe
- Best pumpkin pie
- Coconut custard pie
- Chocolate fudge pie recipe
Southern buttermilk pie
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 tbsp lemon zest use more for extra lemon flavor
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all the filling ingredients in a medium size bowl. Pour into the prepared pie crust. Carefully put it in the oven.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and set but a little jiggly in the center.
- Cool and slice. Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.