This post may contain affiliate links.
Delicious old fashioned chess pie with a southern accent. This is the best easy recipe with very simple ingredients! Great for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any other occasion.
What is chess pie made of?
Traditionally chess pie is made of these simple ingredients
- Butter. Lots of good quality melted butter
- Sugar. White sugar works best for this recipe
- Eggs. This recipe calls for a lot of eggs
- Evaporated milk
- Cornmeal. Some people use flour but i prefer cornmeal
- And of course a pie shell.
If you like this pie you will also love chess pie variations like chocolate chess pie and lemon chess pie. Or create your own unique flavor!
Why do they call it a chess pie?
From what i know the origin of chess pie name is unknown , but some people say it was mispronounced from a CHEESE pie. This pie has no cheese but it has a similar custard like flavor. Similar to cheesecake ( i guess for some people).
More easy pie recipes you may like:
Make them for Thanksgiving, Christmas, any other occasion or just because!
Old fashioned chess pie
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- pie shell
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour pie filling batter into the prepared unbaked pie shell. Place into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Change temperature to 300 degrees and bake pie for another 40 minutes.
Tools used in this recipe
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.