This post may contain affiliate links.
Thick and creamy, absolutely delicious and comforting cajun potato soup in instant pot will warm you up on a cold day. Very easy one pot dinner recipe with cajun spices!
The soup season is already here and i am excited to try new flavors. Cajun spices are so warming and fills the house with delicious aroma. The soup came out pretty thick and tasty. Ham hock is a good choice of meat for a soup like this, or any part of smoked turkey will do great. You can use leftover ham bone in this recipe too.
The best potatoes to use
The best potatoes for potato soup are those potatoes, that are waxy and hold their shape. I used Yukon potatoes because they are low starch and high moisture and they worked really well. Try to stay away from starchy potatoes like Russet and Idaho potatoes because they will soak lots of water and will be mushy.
Can i use unpeeled potatoes in soup
Potato skin has lots of nutrients in them and it make sense to leave the skin on. Some people don’t like skins in their soup so cook it the way you prefer.
I like to leave the skin on my potatoes for potato salad but to peel it for the soup. So it has a smoother texture.
How to make cajun potato soup in instant pot step by step
The process in very easy and the recipe has only a few ingredients. First you will need to make a roux. Roux is a thickening agent for this soup and usually cooked first. Heat oil or butter in instant pot on saute mode and add flour. Mix constantly until it turn from white to golden brown in color.
Then chop yellow or white onions and green onions. Ad to the roux and mix to combine. Keep stirring to prevent it from burning and sticking to the bottom.
Now its time to add spices. Add smoked paprika and your favorite brand of cajun spices. OR if you have all the cajun seasoning ingredients add them separately: garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, cayenne, paprika, black and white pepper, oregano.
Mix spices with onions and now its time for a sausage. I simply used beef franks that i bought in Costco. Properly will be to use a smoked sausage. Please use your favorite.
Now for the fun part. The most important ingredients in this cajun potato soup- potatoes! Cut them in medium size pieces , not too small not too big. Super small pieces will dissolve while cooking, which is not a bad thing though. Up to you guys!
Also add your favorite smoked meat. I used smoked ham shank simply because that was all i have. Smoked turkey necks, legs or wings will be perfect for this soup. So as ham hocks. Add water in the end to cover.
Cook for 40 minutes under high pressure. Thats enough time for potatoes to cook until very soft and for the hocks or shanks to start fall apart and be very tender.
To finish the soup add some sour cream. You can mix it right in the pot or add separately in to each bowl.
More soup recipes:
- Instant pot split pea soup
- Leftover ham bone soup
- Instant pot beef and barley soup
- Instant Pot butternut squash soup
Cajun potato soup in instant pot
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bunch green onion chopped
- 3 lb potatoes cubed
- 6 cups water
- 1 ham shank
- 3 sausages sliced
- sour cream to taste
- 2 tablespoon cajun spices
- smoked paprika
- Make a roux. Heat the oil in the instant pot on SAUTE for 2 minutes. Add flour and stir until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add chopped onions and green onions. Add spices, sausages and mix well.
- Add potatoes and ham shank. Cover all the ingredints with water and cook for 40 minutes on high pressure in your instant pot. Quick release.
- Take out the shank and separate the meat from the bone. Chop the meat and put back in the soup. Mix well and serve with sour cream
- You can successfully use either a ham hock or shank, or any smoked turkey parts.
- Do not add any salt until you will actually try the soup. Smoked meat and sausages release lots of salt into the broth. The amount of salt depend on the type of meat you are using. The shank i used was very salty and i ended up not adding any extra salt at all.
- For thicker soup add 6 cups of water. If you want it more runny then add 8 cups to the pot.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese if desired right in the pot or into the bowl.
- Watch when releasing the pressure.It may splash the soup all over your kitchen) I like to cover the valve with the paper towel to prevent it from splashing.
Tools used in this recipe
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.