Delicious juicy smoked turkey recipe for your electric smoker. Great for holidays ( Thanksgiving and Christmas) or summer weekends too. Try to make it in your Traeger or Masterbuilt smoker! What a festive main course dish!
What type of wood is best when smoking turkey.
I like to use HICKORY wood chips when smoking a turkey. It adds some amazing earthy flavor. Hickory wood also best used with beef, pork and lamb. Applewood is great too, i like to prepare smoked chicken with it. Make sure to check on it about every hour and fill the tray.
Do you have to baste a turkey?
Every couple hours (ideally very hour), i like to baste my smoked turkey with its juices OR with premade chicken broth. It helps to prevent a turkey from drying out and keep the meat moist and juicy.
How long does it take to smoke a turkey
Get ready to smoke a good size turkey for about 4-6 hours. Its equal to about 30 minutes per pound. Cooking temperature should be around 240 degrees for the whole time but sometimes the smoker temperature goes higher during the cooking process. Thats ok as long as its not going higher then 275.
How to thaw a whole turkey
I usually thaw a turkey in the fridge. It takes a very long time though, get ready for about 24 hours to every 4 lb of turkey. OR try a cold water thawing method. Cover packed frozen turkey with cold water completely and change water every hour or so. That will help to thaw turkey quicker.
I don’t recommend to thaw a turkey directly on the counter at the room temperature.
Complete your Thanksgiving dinner:
- Maple roasted brussels sprouts—- perfect thanksgiving side dish!
- Creamed corn recipe
- Pumpkin pie recipe—– very easy recipe for everyone
- Instant Pot collard greens— southern style with bacon
- Sauteed green beans
Want to cook turkey legs instead? Try my Instant pot turkey legs recipe!
Whole smoked turkey
- 10 lb turkey
- 1 onion
- 1 lemon
- few springs of fresh herbs
For the rub
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon dry rosemary
- 3 tablespoon salt
- Preheat smoker to 250 degrees with hickory wood.
- Mix the spices. Stuff the turkey with sliced onion and lemon. Add fresh herbs as much as you want (3-4 springs is what i used). Apply mixed spices all over the skin.I like to use a aluminum tray when smoking a turkey. First, you keep all the juices in the tray that are great for basting, Also it makes the clean up much easier. SO, place prepared turkey in to the tray and move to the smoker for about 6 hours.
- Check every hours and baste with juices. Refill wood chips as needed. Turkey needs to be at 165 degrees at the thickest part. when ready.
- Pull the turkey out and let rest under the foil for about 20-30 minutes. Carve and enoy
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.