Juicy flavorful and very easy Applewood smoked turkey is a dream come true- tender meat and very low effort! Perfect recipe for your Traeger, Masterbuilt or any other kind of smoker! Weight watchers 6 smart points per serving.
What is the best wood to smoke a turkey?
I absolutely love Applewood for my turkey and chickens. It doesn’t overwhelm the meat with to strong smokey flavor and pairs very well with white meat.
What temperature do you remove turkey from the smoker?
The internal temperature should be 160 degrees. i like to use an instant read thermometer or in some cases i use a wireless thermometer. It makes the sound when the food is at the right temperature.
How long will it take to smoke a turkey breast at 225 degrees?
Usually it takes around 3-4 hours. Monitor the smoker temperature closely so it doesn’t go over 225-250 degrees. And keep adding those wood chips to keep the smoke going.
So, how to smoke a whole turkey breast?
- Get a nice turkey breast. I usually buy it already frozen and then defrost it in the fridge overnight.
- Spices. I grow most of my spices on the backyard. You will need some fresh thyme and nice fresh rosemary. ( By the way its so easy to grow them even in your kitchen! Just buy a little seedling and plant in a small pot and place by your kitchen window. Fresh FREE herbs all year around!)
- Preheat your electric smoker with applewood chips. Make sure the smoker is heated to 225 degrees, nice and hot. Place the turkey breast inside and let is smoke for about 3,5 hours.
- Internal temperature should be 160 degrees when you pull your turkey breast out of the smoker.
How to keep turkey moist?
I like to stuff turkey breast with a lot of butter. The best is to use soft butter and spread it out under the skin. This time i used cold right out of the fridge butter and had to cut it in thin pieces. Still works fine, just take i bit longer. Also you can create a herb butter by mixing your favorite herbs with butter and then place it under the turkey skin.
This turkey i made in electric smoker was delicious. It was moist, delicate, had a little tone of rosemary and thyme. Make sure to not overcook it! It will dry the meat out and your turkey will be very chewy.
More amazing smoker recipes for you to try!
- Perfect smoked brisket
- Easy smoked whole chicken
- Perfectly smoked beef ribs
- Electric smoker smoked baby back ribs (Video!)
- Smoked cajun chicken quarters
Here is a whole list of my electric smoker recipes too!
Turkey is a very popular low carb high protein food for lots of people. And i love it too! Here is more turkey recipes readers love:
Applewood smoked turkey breast
- 1 turkey breast thawed
- 2 tbsn chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsn chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbspn salt
- 1 tbspn pepper
- 1/4 cup butter soften
- Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees with Applewood chips
- Pull the skin and spread all that butter right under the skin. If the butter is still cold, just slice it and place under the skin like on the picture above in the post. It going to be alright.
- Rub turkey breast with the mix of rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place turkey into your electric smoker. Insert the wireless thermometer if you have one.
- Smoke for about 3,5 hours until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Take the turkey out and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.