Authentic Mexican chicken soup Caldo de Pollo will surprise with its deep comforting flavor and will remind you of your moms soup. Sopa de Pollo is one of the best soup i ever tried!
Who doesn’t like a good soup on a cold day? With easy ingredients like in this soup, everyone can make this dish from scratch.
When you cook this Mexican chicken soup, your entire house smells absolutely fantastic. The broth turns out so rich and thick, full of flavors and just incredible!
How to make caldo de pollo.
- Start with some good big pieces of chicken. I know some people even use whole chicken for a pot of broth. I prefer just a few thicken thighs, when you cook it for a few hours, the broth turns out very rich.
- Vegetables. My favorite vegetable combination for Sopa de Pollo is of course corn, carrots, chayote ( Mexican squash), zucchinis, onion. Sometimes i add chopped cabbage, or even sliced tomato. Be creative and explore new flavors!
- Cooking time for Caldo de Pollo varies from 2 to 3 or even 4 hours. I usually cook it for 2 hours and then additionally for another 40 , after i add all the veggies.
- Zucchinis cooked fast so we add them last. I dont really like how overcooked zucchinis taste. They will basically just dissolve in the broth if you will cook them longer then 1 hour.
- GARNISH. My favorite part!! I love to garnish my bowl of soup with just about everything- avocado, jalapenos, sour cream, cilantro, lime, chopped scallions….
First i tried Caldo de Pollo in a Mexican restaurant in San-Francisco and instantly fell in love. Once i learned how easy is it to make at home, i started to cook it every week, thats how it is!
Love soups? Try my other soup recipes readers love!
- Caldo de res
- Pork nilaga– Filipino pork soup, with the video!
- Instant Pot vegetable beef soup
- Instant Pot beef barley soup
Caldo de Pollo
- 5 chicken thighs you can use 1 whole chicken as well
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 2 chayote cubed
- 2 zucchinis sliced
- 1 gallon water
- 2 corn caut in thirds
- 1 onion sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Wash chicken thighs and put them in to a big pot, full of water(i used frozen chicken). Cook over slow-medium heat for 2 hours.
- Add all the veggies in to the broth except zucchinis. Cook for additional 40 minutes. Add zucchinis and cook for 10 minutes over slow heat.
- Garnish soup with avocado, sour cream, cilantro, lime, green onions