Delicious homemade ham bone soup from leftover ham cooked on the stove. Made with beans, potatoes, carrots and slow cooked in a rich broth.
I always have a leftover ham bone when i cook my favorite Crock pot brown sugar ham… and making a soup with it is a great solution!
Slow simmering the broth is a key to a rich flavor. If you think you may have some turkey carcass leftovers from Thanksgiving too, try this Leftover turkey soup
Leftover ham bone soup ingredients
- Leftover ham bone. Try to cut off fat as much as possible.
- Beans. Any white or cream colored beans will work. I used butter beans here, but i also like this soup with white kidney beans or navy beans.
- Potatoes. Russet potatoes or any other will work
- Bay leaves, salt and pepper. My ham bone and chopped ham was so salty, i didn’t have to add any additional salt.
How long is a ham bone good for
You will be safe to leave the ham bone in the fridge for up to 5 days. I did leave the bone for 7 days and it was fine but i don’t recommend it.
Can i freeze a ham bone?
Yes you can and you should if you feel like you are not going to be using it withing a week. Put it in a ziplock bag (better two) and freeze up to half a year. The earlier you will use it the better, since it will start getting a freeze burn over time.
More soup recipes readers love!
- Caldo de Pollo—- popular Mexican chicken soup
- Filipino pork soup
- Instant pot beef vegetable soup—- most popular soup on my site!
- Instant Pot butternut squash soup
Leftover ham bone soup
- 1 ham bone
- water to cover the ham bone
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 large russet potatoes diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups leftover ham cubed
- 1 can butter beans or white kidney beans (drained and rinsed )
- black pepper and salt to taste
- Place the ham bone, chopped onion and bay leaves in to your soup pot. Add water just enough to cover the bone and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the bone and bay leaves. Add diced ham, potatoes, carrots and beans. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until vegies are soft. Add salt to taste and serve.