This post may contain affiliate links.
Delicious homemade ham bone soup from leftover ham cooked on the stove. Made with beans, potatoes, carrots and slow cooked in a rich broth.
I always have a leftover ham bone when i cook my favorite Crock pot brown sugar ham… and making a soup with it is a great solution!
Slow simmering the broth is a key to a rich flavor. If you think you may have some turkey carcass leftovers from Thanksgiving too, try this Leftover turkey soup
Leftover ham bone soup ingredients
- Leftover ham bone. Try to cut off fat as much as possible.
- Beans. Any white or cream colored beans will work. I used butter beans here, but i also like this soup with white kidney beans or navy beans.
- Potatoes. Russet potatoes or any other will work
- Bay leaves, salt and pepper. My ham bone and chopped ham was so salty, i didn’t have to add any additional salt.
How long is a ham bone good for
You will be safe to leave the ham bone in the fridge for up to 5 days. I did leave the bone for 7 days and it was fine but i don’t recommend it.
Can i freeze a ham bone?
Yes you can and you should if you feel like you are not going to be using it withing a week. Put it in a ziplock bag (better two) and freeze up to half a year. The earlier you will use it the better, since it will start getting a freeze burn over time.
More soup recipes readers love!
- Caldo de Pollo—- popular Mexican chicken soup
- Filipino pork soup
- Instant pot beef vegetable soup—- most popular soup on my site!
- Instant Pot butternut squash soup
Leftover ham bone soup
- 1 ham bone
- water to cover the ham bone
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 large russet potatoes diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups leftover ham cubed
- 1 can butter beans or white kidney beans (drained and rinsed )
- black pepper and salt to taste
- Place the ham bone, chopped onion and bay leaves in to your soup pot. Add water just enough to cover the bone and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the bone and bay leaves. Add diced ham, potatoes, carrots and beans. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until veggies are soft. Add salt to taste and serve.
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.
Tuesday 16th of August 2022
I also add cabbage to this