This post may contain affiliate links.
Simple and delicious smoked chicken wings recipe for your Masterbuilt, Traeger electric or charcoal smoker! Easy dry rub and crispy skin makes this recipe the best.
MyWW green plan 9 points, blue plan 9 points, purple 9 points ( all calculations are done by adding ingredients to Weight watchers app calculator). Points are per serving.
The sun is shining, birds singing, pool is ready and its time to make some delicious bbq, guys! We waited until it stop raining in the valley so we can enjoy the time outside with the family and smoke our favorite dishes.
How long does it take to smoke wings
Wings should be done and perfectly smoked in just 2 hours. You want to keep the smoke going for at least one hour and keep on indirect heat for the whole time. Once done chicken should have an internal temperature at 160 F degrees.
The best wood for smoking chicken is hickory wood in my opinion. I just love how wings taste after. Wood chips flavor it totally a personal preference and you can use any chips you like or just have on hand. Chicken wings will still taste amazing, i promise.
I purchased my electric smoker couple years ago and instantly fell in love with it. Who knew you can have a restaurant quality smoked dishes in the comfort of your own house(ok, backyard?). I used to be a city girl so this concept was just not for me.
After having a family and moving to our own house things changed. Smoker, grill, big kitchen with tons of gadgets… Living a stay at home chef dream.
How to make the skin crispy
Smoking process has a different purpose that crisping the skin. Smoked chicken wings are really tasty without that crisp but if you are looking for a little crunch, just broil wings in your oven for 3 minutes at 400F degrees. Dont let it sit in the oven for too long or it will dry them out and possibly burn them.
Another option is to quickly throw the chicken on the direct heat of your grill and burn it for a minute.
I use a Masterbuilt electric smoker for most of my recipes but they will work in any other smoker. Traeger is a good one and i planning to switch this or next summer simply because it fits more meat in.
- Once wings are done, sprinkle them with sea salt and extra freshly ground black pepper
- Use smoked paprika instead of regular for an additional smokey flavor and pretty color
- The best way to get a crispy skin is to flash fry them in oil or place under the broiler for a couple minutes. Grilling on direct heat after smoking also helps.
- Use your instant read probe thermometer if you are not able to maintain the constant 250 degrees temperature in your smoker. Make sure meat is 165F degrees!
If you have being following my blog for a while, you know that beside air frying i LOVE smoking in my electric smoker. I have a great collection of delicious recipes i tried or created that left everyone happy in my house. Some of the best are:
Smoked chicken wings
- 2,5 lb chicken wings
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Make a rub out of all the spices listed above. Cover chicken wings in rub and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat your smoker to 250F degrees. Place wings on the smoker rack leavings some space between them. Load smoker with hickory wood and smoke for about 2 hours.
- Add wood as needed. In my Masterbuilt smoker i had to add wood three times during the whole cooking process.
- Wings should be done in 2 hours but check with your thermometer to make sure the temperature inside the thickest part of the meat is at 165 degrees.
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.
Saturday 1st of October 2022
Do you put them in the oven or frier first before smoking or after smoking for a crispier texture?
Saturday 30th of July 2022
Sorry, but I didn't like the spice combination. Also, way to salty.
Tuesday 10th of May 2022
I made these tonight the taste was great but the skin was a little tuff. May try put them in oil before seasoning them.
Sunday 12th of September 2021
I use a RecTeq smoker. It is far superior than a Traeger. You might look into their smoker before you decide.
Wednesday 15th of July 2020
Looks like fun.