Comforting Filipino pork Nilaga soup with bok choy and potatoes. This soup is so easy to make with simple ingredients, that you probably already have at your home.
Here is my try on a classic Filipino pork boiled soup. In Russia we like to make similar soup, just instead of bok choy we use cabbage, and we may add some shredded carrots as well.
Nilagang baboy (Filipino pork soup) ingredients
This recipe calls for:
- pork shoulder or rib meat
- bok choy
- fish sauce
- corn (optional)
- cabbage (optional)
As you can see, ingredients are very simple, but the broth is very flavorful and comforting.
Nilagang Baboy (or Pork Nilaga) is a classic Filipino soup dish which translates to boiled pork. You boil pork for about an hour, that makes the broth taste so rich, and then you add your favorite vegetables.
I kept it simple in this recipe and added only bok choy and potatoes. Delicious!
You can buy bok choy almost everywhere this days, i like to shop at Asian markets , they usually have great prices and fresh produce.
I have more delicious pork recipes on my blog, try this caramel pork , so sticky and sweet!
You may like to try other soup recipes from my site!
- Caldo de Pollo — Mexican chicken soup
- Caldo de res—- Mexican beef soup
- Instant pot beef vegetable soup
- Instant pot beef barley soup
Nilagang baboy (Filipino pork soup)
- 1 lb pork shoulder
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 2 bunches bok choy
- 1 onion sliced
- 6 cups water
- 3 tbspn fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- salt to taste
- Cut pork in about 1 inch pieces. Place it in the pot with sliced onions.
- Add water,salt and black pepper. Boil and then let simmer for about an hour.
- Add potatoes and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off. Stir in fish sauce and add bok choy ( cut white stems off). Let sit for 5-10 minutes and serve.