Traditional crock pot Irish beef stew recipe, full of root vegetables, chuck roast and of course Guinness beer! This stew is so easy to make and you always can substitute beef to lamb for more authentic flavor. Get ready for st.Patrick’s day!
I love to make this stew every other week or each time i have Guinness on hand. The flavor differs from a regular stew slightly, it more full and rich. If you have have kids don’t worry, all the alcohol will evaporate from the beer while cooking and it will be completely safe to feed kids.
I prefer extra stout Guinness for all my Irish cooking adventures. It gives more full flavor and a very very light bitterness that helps to round the flavors of the beef. If you cant find extra stout beer, its ok to use draft style Guinness. The stew just not going to be the same, but still good.
When it comes to choosing beef, your options are pretty wide:
Beef chuck roast is fantastic for this stew. Pick a cut with nice marbeling, it will help for meat to stay soft and juicy.
Round roast is a good inexpensive cut of meat. The only downside is that there is not a lot of fat there and cooked pieces might be on a dry side.
Stew meat is the great option if you want to safe time. Price per pound will be a bit more then cuts i mentioned before but still ok.
How to cook Irish beef stew
To get the best flavor out of the beef, brown it in the beginning. Pour some oil in to the pan and brown beef in batches. Dont overcrowd the pan otherwise instead if browning you will get simmering.
After the meat is browned, saute onions with celery for the best flavor and then deglaze the pan with beef broth or beer. Place everything in the crock pot along with potatoes and carrots. Pour beer and broth over and cook!
Cooking time is going to be 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. So good!
This stew can be made on a stovetop and in the pressure cooker as well. Directions are in the recipe card below.
If you are planning on making this recipe for st.Patricks day, and you want to make it more authentic, use lamb instead of meat. The cooking time and temperature will be the same.
Add peas or any other vegetables like parsnips to make the stew more hearty. My favorite part about this recipe is that is very versatile. Pretty much whatever you do or add it will be delicious.
Make a pot of mashed potatoes and pour Irish stew over it. The gravy will make everything taste great!
If you are looking for more comforting beef recipes, try my
Hope you will have a great time making this delicious recipe! Make sure to use Extra Stout Guinness and it only gets better if you sip on it along the way.
Irish Guinnesse beef stew
- 1 1/2 lb chuck roast*
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 big russet potatoes peeled and quartered
- 2 big carrots peeled and sliced in big pieces
- 1 bottle extra stout Guinness beer
- 2 cups beef broth
- oil for browning the meat
- Cut beef in about 1 inch size cubes. Chop in royughly, size doesnt matter that much. HEat about 1 teaspoon of oil in the skillet and brown meat in batches. Dont overcowd the pan. Transfer meat to the crock pot
- In the same pan saaute onions and celery for about 5 minutes. Move to the slow cooker. Deglaze burnt bits with the splash of beer, over medium heat and pout in to the slow cooker.
- To the meat, add carrots, potatoes, beer and broth. If its not enough broth, add more. You need to slightly cover all the ingredients in the pot.
- Set on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.