This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Easy and quick Irish traditional Colcannon recipe that is creamy and so delicious! You will love the mix of potatoes and cabbage in this dish any time of the year, especially on st.Patrick’s day!
Even that the recipe is Irish, it remind me of my home back in Russia. There we are always making lots of meals with potatoes and cabbage. Mashed potatoes and sauteed cabbage with onions is such a delicious but simple combo!
What to substitute cabbage with
The freat thing abot this recipe is that you can easily switch cabbage with any greens you want. Think spinach, kale, leaks, collard greens or pretty much any greens you like. Dont forget the essential green onions for extra flavor and color.
Beside the fact that its delicious, it also has less carbs that traditional mashed potatoes. Cabbage is a very low carb food and adding it to the dish makes it healthier.
Traditionally there is only 4 ingredients that are used in this dish:
I like to use russet potatoes in most of my potato dishes. They are inexpensive and easy to peel. Cabbage is also a very budget vegetable that is used in this recipe. I like the taste of sauteed cabbage, so next time i will probably double the amount.
For cream i used half and half. If you feel healthy add milk, if you feel adventurous add heavy cream. No judging here! Butter is also something you can add less or more. I used unsalted.
More st.Patrick’s day favorite recipes
Easy Irish Colcannon
- 2 lb russet potatoes
- 1/2 head medium size cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup cream
- Peel and cut potatoes in thirds. Place them in the pot and fill with water, until covered. Bring to boil and simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile add half of the butter to the medium size pot. Shred cabbage and add to the pot. Cook on medium until soft, about 5 minutes. Add green onions and cook for another minute.
- When potatoes are done, drain the water and add potatoes to the pot with cabbage. Using a masgher, mash vegetables as much as you prefer. You can leave chunks of potatoes or mash it really well, like i did. Add cream and more butter aong the way to keep colcannon fluffy and creamy. Add alt to taste.
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.