Rich, full of flavor, hearty and extremely satisfying caldo de res is our favorite soup and an outstanding weekly tradition .
Caldo de Res is the most flavorful and delicious soup that I ever tried. So satisfying and hearty, full of fantastic flavor to please everyone over the dinner table! Also read: Caldo de Res in Instant Pot
How to make Caldo de Res
- Just like any other meat based broth, you need to get good quality beef. For this soup its very common to use beef shanks. They are incredibly flavorful and that bone marrow is so yummy!
- Once you get your meat, place it with lots of water into a big pot and let simmer for about 2 hours, with lid closed
- Prepare vegetables. Cut cabbage into wedges, cube zucchinis and chayotes (Mexican squash), i like to cut corn into 3 pieces. Carrots and onion need to be sliced too. Cube potatoes.
- Once broth is nice and rich, add potatoes , chayotes and corn. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes and then add zuchinis and cabbage and cook until soft. It will smell heavenly!
- When it comes to serving, we cant live without nice lime wedges, avocado slices ( I prefer to slice whole avocado and dump on top 🙂 , cilantro and a good sized scoop of sour cream!
Sopa de Res
Making Sopa de res is very easy and rewarding. Just leave it on a stove for a couple hours and voila! Nice rich incredible broth is ready to go.
Is Caldo de Res healthy and good for you?
Absolutely! Just imaging, its just beef and a bunch of delicious vegetables! Vegetable infused beef broth sprinkled with cilantro, jalapenos and lime juice- delicious and healthy!
I know a lot of people love to eat Caldo de Res in summertime. We are enjoying it all year long, especially in colder months. Fall and winter is perfect for hot steaming bowl of delicious Mexican soup! We love our Sopa de Res.
- 2 beef shanks
- 2 chayotes cubed
- 2 mini zucchinis cubed
- 2 medioum potatoes cubed
- 1/2 medium cabbage sliced
- 2 corn cut in three pieces each
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- ciltantro, avocado, lime, jalapenos for garnish
- 2 tspn salt (add more to taste)
- 2 tspn pepper
Add water to a large pot (about 6-8 qt). Add beef shanks and simmer over medium heat for about 2 hours, until meat is falling apart and the broth is very rich. Add salt and pepper
Now, add corn, potatoes, carrots, onion and chayotes. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, then add zucchinis and cabbage. Let it cook for another10-15 minutes, until very tender.
Serve with fresh chopped cilantro, sliced avocado , sliced jalapenos and a dollop of sour cream (optional)
Nutrition FactsCaldo de Res Amount Per Serving Calories 104 Calories from Fat 9 % Daily Value* Total Fat 1g 2% Cholesterol 9mg 3% Sodium 144mg 6% Potassium 653mg 19% Total Carbohydrates 15g 5% Dietary Fiber 4g 16% Sugars 4g Protein 8g 16% Vitamin A 54% Vitamin C 48.6% Calcium 6.5% Iron 16.5%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.