This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Easy stovetop recipe for homemade creamed corn that will your best side dish for any occasion, from holidays to weeknight dinner. Made from frozen or fresh corn, with lots of cheese and cream in the skillet or pot!
Creamed corn is a classic Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish that is also widely used as a side dish at your weekday dinner table. Can be made inslow cooker, in pressure cooker (Instant pot for example) or at the stovetop, like in this recipe. Everybody make their creamed corn differently, some use sugar, some not. Some cooks use fresh or canned corn and i prefer frozen.
What is creamed corn made of?
Creamed corn origin as a Native American cuisine but nowadays you can find lots of different variations of the recipe. My recipe include:
- Heavy cream or half and half
- Sugar, salt and pepper
- Frozen corn
What can i use if i dont have heavy cream?
This recipe calls for 1 cup of heavy cream. You can substitute it to the equal amount of half and half or you can use 1/2 cup of milk mixed with 2 tablespoon of butter. That should work! Also you can make a lighter version of creamed corn switching the whole amount of cream to just milk. Not sure that consistency will be the same but at least it will be lighter in calories.
More delicious side dishes
- Air fryer corn on the cob
- Instant pot mashed butternut squash
- Instant Pot collard greens with bacon
- Air fryer roasted asparagus
- Garlic sauteed green beans
Easy creamed corn
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup heavy cream *see post for substitutes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1/4 cup parmesan optional
- Stir milk with flour over medium heat in a medium size pan. Add salt, sugar, pepper, cream and butter. Add frozen corn and stir.
- Cook until corn is cooked through and plump, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Parmesan if using and stir.