Easy New England clam chowder recipe . This is the best homemade recipe for our favorite creamy white soup with chunks of potatoes and seafood. So delicious and comforting!
This is one of my favorite soups recipe that we use in our weekly dinner rotation. First time i tried clam chowder in San Francisco, in Boudin bakery . It was served in the bread bowl and it was SO GOOD! But, lets leave it to tourists and try to make our own chowder at home.
What makes clam chowder so delicious?
Of course the creamy broth. It has a nice white silky color because of the milk or cream you are using. Delicious chunks of potatoes are adding texture and gorgeous look to the soup. Clams add extra flavor and a hearty bite.
I love to make this recipe for my family. My husband enjoys the bowl with a piece of sourdough bread while my kids just eat it as is.
For extra color i like to add vegetables like carrots, onions and celery.
I never had a chance to get fresh clams for this recipe so i used canned. You will need about 3 6,5 oz cans to make soup. You can also control the level of creaminess by adding more or less cream (half and half) in the end of cooking.
If you have bacon feel free to add it to the soup too. Just chop it in little pieces, cook on the pan and then add in the end of the recipe. You can garnish this Boston clam chowder with crumbed bacon too! It will add a great bright color and a nice crunch.
If you follow my blog for some time you know that i love to make soups. And it doesn’t matter if its winter or summer, soups are on my family table all the time. I picked some of my favorite for you : Caldo de res, Instant pot split pea soup, Ham bone soup
Easy clam chowder
- 3 cans minced clams 6,5 oz each
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 cups half and half
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- parsley or cilantro to garnish
- Drain juice from clams.
- Add all the chopped vegetables in to a pot and cover with clam juice and water( vegetables has to be covered). Cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- At the same time, heat butter in the medium size heavy bottom pot. Slowly whisk the flour into the butter until well combined and then add cream and whisk until creamy.
- Add veggies with clam juice and water right into the pot and stir. Heat the soup but don't boil otherwise the cream will curdle.
- Add clams in the end of cooking and don't heat the pot anymore otherwise clams would get dry and tough.
- Serve in bowls, garnish with chopped cilantro, parsley or bacon.