Super easy and quick recipe for homemade banana muffins with or without chocolate chips. Perfect breakfast or snack and all kids love it!
This is the best way to use those overripe bananas besides my banana bread recipe (that also works excellent!).
Chocolate chips substitutions
Melty chocolate chips make everything taste better but what if you simply dont like it? You can leave them out and enjoy muffins just as simple as it could be. If you feel fancy try to add toasted walnuts, pecans or any other of your favorite chopped nuts. Raising or dried cranberries may be a good idea too.
Pro tips for perfect banana muffins
- Use melted butter instead of soften to make the batter. Soft butter tend to make baked muffins on a crumbly side, but if that’s what you like then go for it. I like it moist and soft so i melt the butter.
- Add melted butter slowly into the batter. If its still hot you are risking to cook eggs that’s already in. You can always add butter to mashed bananas to avoid risks, and then add eggs.
- Dont overbake and don’t underbake. Sound obvious but in fact when you underbake muffins, they are still raw on the bottom. Overbaked muffins may become dry or even burn on top.
I prefer to use white colored muffin paper cups bit its a personal preference. I recommend using paper cups but you can go without it.
Can i use frozen bananas
I always have frozen bananas in my freezer. I use them for smoothies a lot and in baking. To freeze just peel them and place in the ziplock bag trying to squeeze all the air out. Once ready to use, defrost in the fridge and use in the recipe as directed. there will be some liquid in the bag, discard it.
How to store this muffins
Banana muffins have a pretty long shelf life. I left them on the counter for a few days and nothing happened. Like literally they we still moist and soft. But the rule of thumb is that you can keep them on the counter for up to 3 days and for about a week in a freezer.
More muffin recipes:
Best of the best muffins from my blog for you. Try them and let me know in the comments what do you think
- Double chocolate chip muffins
- Pumpkin chocolate chips muffins
- Butter blueberry muffins
- Sour cream carrot muffins
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1 tspn baking soda
- 1 large bananas
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash bananas in the bowl using a fork or a masher. Add butter and egg. Mix well.
- Add sugar, flour, soda and baking powder. Mix well but dont overmix. Fold in chocolate chips
- Line muffin tin with muffin paper cups. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of batter into each cup.
- Sprinckle with additional chocolate chips. Bake for 20-25 minutes until done and the toothpick come out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy.
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.