This post may contain affiliate links.
Easy air fryer potato chips recipe using just a few simple ingredients! Homemade chips are always better, they are healthy, crunchy and simply the best.
Did you ever wonder how easy is it to make your own potato chips? No more crazy nasty ingredients, only potatoes, slat, pepper, garlic and some good olive oil.
We don’t eat store bought potato chips in our house anyways but if you do, try this great recipe to make a switch. Pool party? Movie night? Quick kids snack? You got it with this delicious and super EXTRA crunchy chips recipe.
Why do you soak potatoes in cold water
I usually slice potatoes really thin and then place them in the bowl filled with cold water. Why do i do that? The answer is simple. Soaking helps potatoes to release some starch which helps a lot with the future crispiness. This step is optional but recommended. If i don’t have extra 20 minutes i just air fry them as is.
Once potatoes has being soaked, you absolutely need to pat dry them. We don’t need any extra water here! After that step, just sprinkle chips with your favorite spices, drizzle oil and pop them in the air fryer.
My favorite seasoning is easy, its salt, freshly ground pepper and garlic powder. When i feel fancy i add thinly chopped green onions. They air fry beautifully on top of those chips.
Peel or not to peel?
As you can see, my potato chips has some nice layer of skin on it. And we like it! But its totally up to you. I don’t feel it necessary to peel my potatoes simply because it taste good either way. Save time!
I have some recommendations on slicing though. If you happen to have a mandolin, please use it. It helps a lot with achieving equally thin chips. I sliced mine by hand and did my best but when you cook them make sure to remove thinnest pieces as soon as they are cooked and crisped. And cook thicker slices a bit longer. Still good! But with mandolin you will not have that problem.
More easy air fryer recipes
Air fryer potato chips
- 2 russet potatoes
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground pepper
- garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Wash potatoes really well and slice on the thinnest setting using your mandolin. Or slice by hand as thin as you can.
- Place slices in to the bowl with cold water for about 20 minutes. Pat dry.
- Place potatoes in the air fryer basket. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic. Drizzle with oil and using tongs move them around the basket to mix up.
- Close the air fryer and cook at 220F degrees for about 25 minutes. The thinner slices, the shorter cooking time. Then up the heat to 400F degrees and cook for another 5 minutes. Check your chips and shake them regularly.
- Potato chips should be VERY crispy once done. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators.