Cajun potato soup in instant pot
Thick and creamy, absolutely delicious and comforting cajun potato soup in instant pot will warm you up on a cold day. Very easy one pot dinner recipe with cajun spices!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bunch green onion chopped
- 3 lb potatoes cubed
- 6 cups water
- 1 ham shank
- 3 sausages sliced
- sour cream to taste
- 2 tablespoon cajun spices
- smoked paprika
Make a roux. Heat the oil in the instant pot on SAUTE for 2 minutes. Add flour and stir until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add chopped onions and green onions. Add spices, sausages and mix well.
Add potatoes and ham shank. Cover all the ingredints with water and cook for 40 minutes on high pressure in your instant pot. Quick release.
Take out the shank and separate the meat from the bone. Chop the meat and put back in the soup. Mix well and serve with sour cream
- You can successfully use either a ham hock or shank, or any smoked turkey parts.
- Do not add any salt until you will actually try the soup. Smoked meat and sausages release lots of salt into the broth. The amount of salt depend on the type of meat you are using. The shank i used was very salty and i ended up not adding any extra salt at all.
- For thicker soup add 6 cups of water. If you want it more runny then add 8 cups to the pot.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese if desired right in the pot or into the bowl.
- Watch when releasing the pressure.It may splash the soup all over your kitchen) I like to cover the valve with the paper towel to prevent it from splashing.
Calories: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 338mg | Potassium: 223mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 72IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg